13 November 1946, Rijswijk, the Netherlands.
California College of Arts & Crafts, Oakland, California, 1969 –1970, MFA
Accademia di Brera, Milano, Italy, 1968 –1969, sculpture.
Vrije Academie, Den Haag, 1964 –1968, painting sculpture and printmaking.
Scholarships and Grants:
- The Italian Government 1968, Prins Bernhard Foundation Amsterdam 1969,
- Foundation of the Vrijvrouwe van Renswoude the Netherlands 1969
- California College of Arts & Crafts tuition scholarships 1969, 1970.
- Two experimental year grants of the Ministry of Culture the Netherlands1976 1981
Commissions, a selection:
- Holland American Line Cruise ship Statendam, through the ceiling sculpture, 2016
- Timbers Kauai Resort, Hawaii, USA, 2018
- Address Downtown Hotel, Dubai, 2018
- Mandarin Hotel, Qatar, 2018
- St. David’s Hotel in Cardiff, Wales, 2018
- 1355 Peachtree, Atlanta, Georgia, 2018
- Suzhou Center 44 sculptures, China, 2017
- TUI cruise ship, Mein Schiff 5, Autumn Tree installation in the Champagne bar, 2016
- Holland American Line Cruise ship Koningsdam, through the ceiling sculpture, 2016
- Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi, Pearl Court and Luxury Court, 60 paper sculptures, 2014
- Capa Roof top restaurant, Four Seasons Hotel Disney World Resort, Orlando, Florida, 30 meter long ceiling sculpture, 2014
- Hotel Indigo, Saint Petersburg, group of flying sculptures in the atrium, 2013
- Regionaal Archief, Tiel, 2012
- Deloitte Utrecht office, 2012
- Paper sculptures for the main entrée, Maastoren, Deloitte Rotterdam, 2010
- Mortuarium Venray, 2010
- Sculpture for the Municipalities of the Netherlands building, VNG, The Hague, 2009
- Two bronze sculptures, 4 meters high each, originally made in paper, on a bridge in Fascinatio, Capelle aan den IJssel. 2005.
- Mobil-Foils, High shrinkage sculptures, Kerkrade 2005
- Ceiling Sculptures, Stadhuis Rijswijk, public space, 2003
- Sociale Verzekerings Bank, Utrecht, 2002
- Joop van den Ende, Colloseum, Musical Theater, Essen , Duitsland, 2001
- Muze Toren, Meyer’s Bouwbedrijf, Den Haag, 2001
- Joop van den Ende, Head office Stageholding, Amsterdam, 2000
- KNP BT Main Office, Museumplein , Amsterdam 1996.
- Sodra Nederland BV Den Haag 1990, RABO Bank, Rijswijk, 1992.
Expositions, a selection:
- Femmes Fatales, part of Iris van Herpen installation, Gemeente Museum Den Haag, 2018
- Pulchri Studio, Den Haag, 2018
- Jinji Lake Biennale, Suzhou, China, 2018
- Installation, Iris van Herpen Couture Collection Paris, 2018
- Exhibition in Suzhou Jinji Lake Museum, Suzhou China, 2017
- Sint Gudulakerk, Lochem, preview art commission Suzhou, China, 2016-2017
- Exhibition ‘Tissus Imprimes – Pierre Frey’, Museum of the Decorative Arts and Design at the Palais du Louvre’s western wing, Paris, 2016
- Pulchri Studio, many times, the last one in 2016 after winning the Van Ommeren De Voogt prize
- Dutch Design Week (DDW 2015) at Trans natural Exhibition, 2015
- Exposition ‘Waanders in de Broeren’ in Zwolle, 2015
- Grensloos Kunst Verkennen, IJhorst, 2014
- Hooghstate Museum, Hoogstraat 164, Haastrecht, 2013
- City Hall Den Haag / Atrium, in the Hague, 2012
- Koornmarktspoort, Kampen, 2012
- SER, the Hague, 2012
- Galerie Année, Haarlem, 2011
- Galerie Petit , Amsterdam, regular shows since 1972
- Galerie Art Company 2010, Eindhoven Exposition
- “Mystère de papier” Abbaye de St Riquier ( France), 2009
- Payzac: exposition in the Papeterie de Vaux, France, 2009
- Galerie Bianca Landgraaf 2008 2006,
- Ino, Ino Gallery, Japan
- Kunstlicht in de Kunst, LED’ s in papieren sculpturen, Eindhoven
- Kunst RAI, met galerie Petit, Amsterdam, 2002. 2003, 2004
- De Holland Papier Biennale, Museum Rijswijk, 1996 , 1998, 2000, 2002
- Palimpsest, 4 papermakers in De Brakke Grond, Flemish Cult. Centre, Amsterdam
- Touch Please Exhibition, Kyoto, invited foreign artists, Japan, 1995
- Contemporary Paper Art Works Exhibition, in Imadate & Azabu Museum, 1995, Tokyo.
- Invited artist, exhibition of work and show of techniques, Imadate, Japan 1995
- Paper Manifestation 1994, organized by my wife Pat Torley , Eva Andresen and me: IAPMA Paper Congress with 12 workshops and 7 paper exhibitions
- Grafiek ’93, Aarschot, Belgium, Int. Print Exhibition
- Floriade, Zoetermeer 1992
- Design Factory, Copenhagen, group papershow, 1992
- Budapest Museum of Fine Arts, group paper show, 1992
- The Librije, Municipal Museum, Zwolle, 1992
- Galleri Umbra Lund, Sweden 1990
- North Sea Gallery, Scheveningen 1989
- Haagse Kunstkring, shows & member from 1970 until 1985, the Hague.
- Phoenix Gallery San Francisco,1972
- Museum Fodor, Amsterdam,1971
- Museum Rijswijk, 1971
- De Vrije Academie voor Beeldende Kunsten, painting and drawing, 1974 – 1991
- Willem de Kooning College of Arts, Rotterdam, paper- and printmaking 1986 -2011
1978 vacuum tables, 1991 hollander beater for long fibers, 1999 drying box for hand made paper and spindle press, all these machines are factory built and for sale.
- Papieren Geheimen, on the work of Peter Gentenaar, by Michael Zeeman, 2011
- Het Geheugen van Papier, on the work of Peter Gentenaar, Haags Palet, 2006
- Palimpsest, De Brakke Grond, Amsterdam, 1995
- The Papermakers Source Book, by Sophie Dawson, London, 1995
- The Art & Craft of Papermaking, by Sophie Dawson, London, 1992
- Het Complete Papierboek, Cantecleer, de Bilt, 1991 the Netherlands
- Paper – Art & Technology, World Print Council, San Fransisco, 1978
- Papermaking, Jules Heller, Arizona, 1977
- Tactile Paper, editor and writer of a chapter, 1996
- Paper & Fire, publisher, editor and writer of a chapter, 1998
- Paper & Water, publisher, editor and writer of a chapter, 2000
- Timeless Paper, editor and writer of a chapter, 2002
- Spirit of Paper, editor and writer of a chapter, 2004
- Paper Takes Flight, editor and writer of a chapter, 2006
- Pure Paper, editor and writer of a chapter, 2008
These books were published in conjunction with all the exhibitions of the Holland Paper Biennial, which I started, in Rijswijk Museum and Museum CODA in Apeldoorn
- Lessebo Papermill, Sweden 1989 ,1992
- Japan, Kyoto, 1995
- Haystack, Maine, USA, 1998
- Finland, Kouvola Polytechnic Institute, 1997, 1998
- IAPMA Congress, the Netherlands, 1994
- IAPMA Congress Copenhagen, Denmark 1996
In 8 institutes for the mentally handicapped in the Netherlands my papermaking machines are being used, and I give regular workshops for the staff.
“In my artwork, I bring my love of nature, its materials and my fascination with technique together.
Coming from a painting orientated culture, I found in paper fiber a material much closer to nature and with much more character than I ever found in paint.
Slowly I turned from a paper user into a paper and pulp maker and while doing so found endless amounts of new possibilities for shapes and forms in paper.”